Vanessa Brown | 27years in Consumer Goods | Sales and Marketing
Strong strategic consultant.
- Vanessa started her career in sales at Walkers Snack Foods, PepsiCo
- Moving into sales, category, marketing and commercial management at Nestlé UK
- Her final role at Nestlé was Commercial Manager heading up the £50m food business.
- In 2005 Vanessa decided to leave Nestlé and set up her own consultancy, Dynamic Reasoning to have a better work/life balance
- Choosing to collaborate with others and work on a variety of interesting projects where she can make a real difference
- Adding value via her approach as well as via results.
Led by Vanessa, Dynamic Reasoning has worked with:
- Wide range of Blue-chip brands, Multi-nationals, SMEs and Start-ups
- Grocery and High Street Retailers
- Innovation, Research and Field Sales agencies
- Academic organisations such as The University of Kent
- Food groups in the UK and France.
Previous Clients include:
“I have worked with Vanessa at Dynamic Reasoning for over 12 years, and she has been invaluable.
At Natural Balance Foods she was key in helping us create a new category in healthy snacking and driving this through to listings.
Her ability to turn category data into a selling story for the retailers has been fantastic.The training sessions resulted in great wins too.
Always an absolute pleasure to work with and see real tangible results at the end of any project.” Emma Grant, ex Sales Director NBF, now MD at Chika’s
- New product development: Vanessa has worked with innovation agencies and directly with clients to integrate shopper and customer insights into the product development process from the start, to optimise launches and improve chances of successful NPI, new product implementation.
- Category management: With strong analytical skills & an insightful approach, Vanessa developed an agile & effective Cat Man process to identify commercial opportunities that can be easily implemented to drive path to purchase. This has helped several brands achieve incremental category growth, changing their relationship with their buyers from transactional to collaborative.
- Route to market strategy: Vanessa had developed & implemented models that enable organisations to evaluate and prioritise opportunities within a framework that provides objectivity, clarity and direction throughout the organisation. A recent example includes a project with a High Street retailer to effectively harmonise their brand portfolio, driving ROI as a result.
- Commercial propositions: Combining vision with compelling evidence, Vanessa has helped several branded manufacturers to develop compelling selling arguments, mapping out strategies and in some instances preparing the selling decks, helping one client achieve a 7x increase in distribution.
“I recently worked with Vanessa on a strategic category management project for a High Street Retailer to rationalise and prioritise their own brand portfolio.
Vanessa quickly turned 4 years’ worth of extensive data into meaningful analysis and a clear action plan, resulting in significant savings and a clear innovation focus for the retailer.
Vanessa has a unique ability to make the complex seem simple.” Richard Samarasinghe, Partner at AD Creative
Selection of Case Studies:1. Helping Natural Balance Foods drive Nakd & Trek retail £sales from £0.5m to £56m RSV
- Working with Natural Balance since 2008, Vanessa identified insights that shaped business strategies
- Including opportunities for new pack formats, new channels and new categories
- Vanessa led the team to develop the category strategy to move the brand into the more mainstream cereal bar aisle
- Subsequently developing sales arguments for several NPD from Trek protein bars to Nākd Chocolish
- Vanessa also trained Natural Balance sales, category and shopper marketing teams
- Embedding the skills and approaches that would enable the team to grow and deliver sustainable growth.
The collaboration continued:
- In 2019 NBF Sales Director Emma Grant left Natural Balance Foods to join Chika’s
- Retaining Dynamic Reasoning to strengthen Chika’s commercial proposition
- This project successfully helped Chika's secure new distribution and grow their £sales.
“Vanessa has un-paralleled experience in translating brand goals into strong commercial strategies that inspire retailers and offer clear and structured guidance to category and sales teams.
Such an approach has proved invaluable in our joint work on innovation and channel projects at Happen.” Suzanne Robinson, formerly MD Happen Innovation, now Director of Innovation at Accenture
Selection of Case Studies Continued:
2. Helping Genesis Crafty to expand distribution & launch into 2 new categories in UK multiples
- Vanessa established a team to work together to develop the Genesis Crafty brand proposition
- Delivering an impactful pack change and a refreshed Comms strategy
- Vanessa then developed a compelling sales argument resulting in distribution gains into new categories.
The collaboration continued:
- Brian McErlain, MD set up a new business, Bertie’s Bakery
- Retaining Dynamic Reasoning to develop consumer and shopper strategies and a compelling selling argument
- Vanessa helped Bertie's to secured target distribution levels and profitable £sales that continue to grow
Would you like to know more?
Visit Dynamic Reasoning linkedin profile for more information.